Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Iguana Man

Sometimes I get a reminder why it is so important to listen to your gut. It is a rare gift, but every once in a while a little voice in my head tells me that there is a picture to be made. When it happens while I'm driving, the impulse is to say "No, I'm busy right now, I'll come back later". Usually I get about a block before huffing a curse under my breath and turning around to photograph what I think I saw or felt.
In Puerto Rico in June, I was in the passenger seat on a day off from assignment when I saw a man attempting to sell baby iguanas for $3 a piece on the side of the road...."Picture".
I jumped out of the car, thinking I could catch up because traffic was slow. Yeah, right. Anyway, I thought the picture was of him holding them in front of his face, but it turns out that my gut told me otherwise, and it made all the difference.


1 comment:

Cubanita said...

Keep up the good work, JG! This photo is awesome.

En Cuba, aunque sean baby iguanas, les llamamos lagartijas. Good Cuban girls are best known for screaming to the top of their lungs when they see one of the these!(Not that I am one of the, right?)